Sunday, January 17, 2010

Good Map(s) example: from an Icelandic mystery novel

My Good Map example is actually a set of maps at the start of a novel by the Icelandic mystery writer Arnaldur Indridason. The maps are drawn by Robert Guillemette. I like several things about the map set:

1) They are logical: first you see Iceland (inset), then the area around Reykjavik, then this area progressively enlarged.

2) They are simple: they show names of places that appear in the book, and they show, for instance, the main roads between towns, but they are minimalist. They are not even in color. The largest-scale map does not name most streets, but the idiosyncratic nature of the street length and relative positions make this less important, and there are strategically labeled important (for a mystery novel) buildings, such as the morgue.

3) Finally, I like this set of maps because - for all my admiration of the things you can do with ESRI's ArcMap - they look gracefully different from ArcMap maps. I'm not sure whether the maps are hand drawn but I would not be surprised. The outlining around the coast and lining the lakes makes me think of historic or fantastical maps, as do the little mountains on the small-scale map at the top. Overall the maps look enticingly unusual, but absolutely clear. And I can easily find places in the book on the maps - which is the point, after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment